Effectiveness of Graphing Calculators in K–12 Mathematics Achievement:A Systematic Review by Empirical Education is a research report about the use of graphing calculators in the classroom. The research includes grades K-12 in mathematics. I enjoyed reviewing this article because I hope to be certified 1-12 by the end of next May (with a concentration in mathematics, of course). This article includes research from various studies: girls vs. boys, calculators vs. non-calculators, studies in China, a comparison of mathematical topics (i.e. Algebra vs Statistics using a calculator). Included in the twenty one page article are charts, graphs, multiple studies and the results. After each case study the article explains each test performed and what the outcomes were. It turns out that calculators, especially graphing calculators in the higher grades, show an increased level of confidence when performing mathematical computations. Mentioned are the positive results from the use of calculators by students with disabilities. It also shows that there is no difference between the performance of boys and girls!
After reading this article, I found myself agreeing to most of the research. I was, however, surprised when I read certain studies, not by the results, but the different studies. I believe calculators, when used appropriately definitely enhance mathematical learning. To go through elementary school, middle school and high school without the use of a calculator is restricting on not just mathematics, but sciences and technology.
Link to site: http://education.ti.com/sites/US/downloads/pdf/eei_graphingcalcreviewreport_2006.pdf
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Terri you mentioned, "To go through elementary school, middle school and high school without the use of a calculator is restricting on not just mathematics, but sciences and technology." I agree with your statement that you made and thought to mention the astounding statistics that only 26% of developmental faculty are using graphing calculators in their classrooms. It would be interesting to do a study to investigate the learning effects on students when using graphing calculators and when they are not.
I read part of the article and found it interesting that in a 1990 study, females outperformed males when using graphing calculators, but were outperformed by males not using calculators.
I am not sure where Jon gets the statistic of 26%. However, it does seem reasonable given the cost. However, I am in an 8th grade urban school and the students mix up the x and the y axis quite often. I think that a certain amount of basic knowledge is needed to ensure that the calculator results are accurate.
Post a Comment